SHARENTING

CharorowtzXD

Known
Reaction score
Today let me tackle about the word sharenting.

What is sharenting and how does it affect someone's life?
Sharenting are two words combined into one. SHARING and PARENTING. Sharenting according to WIKIPEDIA is the practice of parents publicizing sensitive content about their children on internet platforms. It's an act done by parents and guardians who share photos, videos and even sensitive information about their children in the social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, Youtube, etc.

Juts like these social media personalities and vloggers who, doesnt just share videos and photos about their day-to-day life in the internet but about their whole family as well including their children. Updating everyone specially their followers about how their kids look like, what they do, how they are and stuffs.
These practice is also done by other parents who have social media accounts and uses these platforms to upload photos and videos making their social media accounts as their one big family photo album + journal.

Is this a good practice?
Is this safe for you and your child/children?

Well, for me all I can say is.
To all parents, it's nice and flattering to see you are one proud parent who is fond of sharing cute videos and photos of your beautiful children. However, this practice can give bad impact to your children because you're sharing their privacy to the world specially if you keep doing it every now and then. It's lovely to see how proud you are sharing to the world about your child's/children's cuteness, how talented or skilled they are, and their achievements as well. And it's ok to share something about them but do not share everything including their first name/ whole name and other sensitive information. It's also ok to share some photos and videos about them but learn to limit what you share in social media because sharing a lot of information about them don't just over exposing them to the whole world but also exposing them to the possible dangers and potential risks.

Identity theft can be one of the biggest risks in sharenting. Hackers and other bad identities are just around the corner waiting to attack their targets. And once they choose you and your children, you will become their victim. They can sell your son/daughter's photos and other personal information and even use them for other bad stuffs.

This habit can also ruin a parent-child relationship specially if your child dont really like getting exposed to the outside world, he/she is an introvert and don't really like sharing personal stuffs in social media. This can also be a huge embarrassment for a child if even the embarrassing moments in his life gets uploaded and shared in social media since, either we like it or not, a lot will be making fun of it and your child can possibly get bullied because of this.

So parents and guardians, it's ok to upload your kid's photos and videos in social media platforms so you can view them anytime you like. But do not share everything publicly. Not everything is worth sharing. Other things are worth keeping private and not everyone deserves to know something about your kids. So only share a little. Always think about your kid's safety first before anything else. Protect your children's identity.

That's all and Godspeed!
Goodnight Windicers

Good topic you shared. A good wake up call to parents like me. Atleast now I can say I have stopped sharing my son's videos in social medias. I still take pictures and videos but only store them in my phone. No longer sharing in my FB and Instagram because, not only I am getting lazy doing so and I no longer want his dad see those latest photos and videos about my son but I also no longer trust these social medias' safety. Hackers can hack anyone's account and steal all hidden information so it's much better and safer to just keep my baby's photos and videos in my devices. 😊

Didn’t know there was an actual word for that so I learned something new. It’s an important topic. I’m not only thinking about the points you mention but also about all the perverts out there :(

I agree with you that sharenting can have negative consequences for children. It can expose them to identity theft, cyberbullying, and other forms of online abuse. It can also lead to problems with their self-esteem and privacy.

I think it's important for parents to be mindful of what they share about their children online. They should only share photos and videos that are appropriate for all audiences, and they should avoid sharing any personal information that could be used to identify their child. They should also talk to their children about sharenting and explain the risks involved.

Here are some tips for parents who want to share photos and videos of their children online safely:
  • Only share photos and videos that are appropriate for all audiences.
  • Avoid sharing any personal information that could be used to identify your child, such as their full name, school, or address.
  • Get your child's permission before sharing any photos or videos of them.
  • Talk to your child about sharenting and explain the risks involved.
  • Be mindful of the privacy settings on your social media accounts.
  • Only share photos and videos with people you trust.

Good topic you shared. A good wake up call to parents like me. Atleast now I can say I have stopped sharing my son's videos in social medias. I still take pictures and videos but only store them in my phone. No longer sharing in my FB and Instagram because, not only I am getting lazy doing so and I no longer want his dad see those latest photos and videos about my son but I also no longer trust these social medias' safety. Hackers can hack anyone's account and steal all hidden information so it's much better and safer to just keep my baby's photos and videos in my devices. 😊
Good move ate mow

Didn’t know there was an actual word for that so I learned something new. It’s an important topic. I’m not only thinking about the points you mention but also about all the perverts out there :(
Yeah didnt know about this word too until i heard it being discussed by a priest in a church few weeks ago. I then searched for it and found out it this word was formulated years ago. 2010. Exactly, a very important one to be discussed by everyone specially parents who is not fully aware of what they do. They dont realize they slowly dragging their children to danger and other unwanted events.

Talking about perverts yes thats one more. Some to many parents nowadays, not sure how to say this, either allow or encourage their kids even toddlers to dance infront of the camera. And take note, not just a cute simple dance but a very sexy one. Then these videos will be uploaded to social media accounts for many views. I can even see some kids doing some dirty dancing in TIKTOK lol. They doing it not just for fun but, for business i think. What they don't really know is the more videos uploaded, the more views they get, the more followers and subscribers they gain but the more danger they also invite. They inviting too many perverts to be fantasizing their sexy videos. Ewww. They putting more danger into their children's lives by allowing their kids to be nearer to the people with malicious intents Yayks

I agree with you that sharenting can have negative consequences for children. It can expose them to identity theft, cyberbullying, and other forms of online abuse. It can also lead to problems with their self-esteem and privacy.

I think it's important for parents to be mindful of what they share about their children online. They should only share photos and videos that are appropriate for all audiences, and they should avoid sharing any personal information that could be used to identify their child. They should also talk to their children about sharenting and explain the risks involved.

Here are some tips for parents who want to share photos and videos of their children online safely:
  • Only share photos and videos that are appropriate for all audiences.
  • Avoid sharing any personal information that could be used to identify your child, such as their full name, school, or address.
  • Get your child's permission before sharing any photos or videos of them.
  • Talk to your child about sharenting and explain the risks involved.
  • Be mindful of the privacy settings on your social media accounts.
  • Only share photos and videos with people you trust.
Good addition sir thanks for the input

Sharenting, the practice of parents sharing their children's lives online, raises concerns about privacy, identity theft, and cyberbullying. Parents should be cautious, share responsibly, and maintain privacy settings to protect their children in the digital age.