Lullabies

BadLuckKing

Known
Reaction score
Lullabies are comforting songs sung for children that usually help them fall asleep quicker. Lullabies culture has existed for very long periods from now. Although there are no certain facts about how they came into being but as my research expanded over this topic, I came to know that actual lullabies came from Mesopotamia(Iraq) where they were preserved on clay tablets and were a part of rituals in the temples and had many purposes behind like they were sung to pass blessings, teach and relax children and also to keep traditional practices alive.

Moreover, lullabies culture also has traces coming from Greece and Egypt like in Greece they were written on stone inscription and in Egypt they were written on tomb walls. Although their compositions and playing methodology varied from place to place, their main purposes of comforting and educating children and passing on blessings remain constant.

Keeping all that in sight, it is significant to note that beside all the cultural traces lullabies had, there are also traces found that they anciently were sung and composed by mothers to their babies to praise and relax them while they sleep and they also portray the bond and love between mothers and their children.

The lullabies culture in the east is so beautiful they are usually small repeatative verses that have friendly warnings for kids, motivations and appreciation and praises that help children grow and cherish childhood days. However, having my roots from subcontinent, Indian and Pakistani lullabies are my personal favorite. Indian lullabies like "lori lori" and "Gori Gori" yet catch my heed whenever I hear you them. A likely, some local languages work like "Allah Ho" taking our sight to Allah's blessings and generosity also have my heart.

The lullabies are equally famous in the west like they are in the East. "The twinkle twinkle little Star" which has all our childhood memories attached is also a lullaby written by Mozart.

Growing up, we often forget to appreciate these little cultural prints on our life that let us grow in beautiful ways. Back some days while we abruptly discussed the lullabies culture, I realized so many of our younger generations do not know that these exist which is so devastating to express.

These are little things that keep our heritages and folklore alive so it is our responsibility to keep them going in all possible ways. We must remind our children about how beautiful these cultural practices of singing lullabies are so they realize the essence and beauty in them.