Getting a lot of mosquito bites? ๐Ÿค’๐ŸฆŸ๐ŸฆŸ

CharorowtzXD

Known
Reaction score
This topic is not related to Windice I know but I'd still like to share this here for everyone's future reference (FYI) specially now that summer is over and rainy season is on. It's feeding and breading time for mosquitos.

Have you ever been wondering why some get few mosquito bites while others get a lot? Well here are some possible reasons as to why this happens according to some information I have read few days ago.

Why do mosquitos bite in the first place?
According to what I have read, Contrary to what we thought for years now, mosquitoes don't bite people for food -- they feed on plant nectar. Only female mosquitoes bite, and they do so to receive proteins from your blood needed to develop their eggs.

Yayks! Hahaha! So these female mosquitos are like vampires they need to suck so they can feed their future babies and successfully multiply ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿค’

Why are some people more prone to mosquito bites?

The factors include Blood type, clothing color, carbon dioxide, body odor and sweat and Beer.

There are four main blood types: A, B, AB and O. And even though there are no firm conclusions as to which type is really more attractive to mosquitos, a lot of studies showed and suggested that people with blood type O are the ones most appetizing to mosquitos.

Oh no too bad for me i'm type O. ๐Ÿ˜†

According to what I have read, mosquitoes are highly visual hunters when it comes to finding a human to bite. So movements and dark clothing colors like black, navy and red can stand out to a mosquito. Research has shown that mosquitoes are more attracted to the color black, but there has been little additional research into why this is the case.

So to be safer let's start wearing more light and vibrant colors ๐Ÿ˜†

One of the quickest ways mosquitoes can sniff out a person is through carbon dioxide emitted when we breathe. According to research published in the journal Chemical Senses, mosquitoes use an organ called a maxillary palp for carbon dioxide detection and can sense it from 164 feet away. And because carbon dioxide is a huge attractor, people who emit more of it - larger individuals and people who are breathing heavily when working out - are more attractive to a mosquito.

Another yayks! Good thing I am small ๐Ÿ˜†

Mosquitoes can find people to bite by smelling substances present on human skin and in sweat, including lactic acid, uric acid and ammonia. Researchers are still learning why certain body odors are more attractive to mosquitoes, but they do know that genetics, bacteria on the skin and exercise all play a factor. Genetics impact the amount of uric acid emitted, while exercise increases lactic acid buildup.

the more we sweat the more mosquito bites we'll get. So always be ready with mosquito repellent guys specially those who loves doing exercises ๐Ÿ˜

In a small study, mosquitoes were observed to land on participants more frequently after they had drank a small amount of beer. But before you swear off beer for good, know that the study only had 14 participants, and it found that mosquitoes may only be marginally more attracted to people who have been drinking beer.

this is fine with me, theyd get tipsy too ๐Ÿ˜†

Ever wonder too why bites have different sizes, some are too small why others are too big? It says,

Bites affect people differently. The size and severity of a bite relates to how your immune system responds to the saliva introduced by a mosquito when it bites. When mosquitoes bite, they inject some saliva when drawing blood. This saliva contains certain anticoagulant and proteins, triggering the immune system to respond to these foreign substances.

Our body responds by releasing histamine - a chemical that is released by white blood cells when your immune system is fighting against allergens - which causes the itchiness and inflammation of the bite.

Here are the provided lists of hoe to prevent mosquitos from biting you and what are the treatments when bitten.

Some common ways to prevent mosquito bites include:

• Use repellents and bug sprays (Repel, Off! Deep Woods, and other brands that contain DEET)
  • Use natural repellants (citronella essential oil, neem oil, thyme essential oil)
  • Avoid going outside at dawn or dusk
  • Avoid dark-colored clothing, specifically black
  • Avoid standing water and try to eliminate standing water near your home
  • Use mosquito netting when camping or sleeping outdoors
  • Clean with rubbing alcohol if a fresh bite
  • Take an oatmeal bath
  • Use over-the-counter antihistamines such as Benadryl or Claritin
  • Apply mild corticosteroid creams
  • Use aloe vera to reduce inflammation
  • Try a cold compress

Stay safe guys always wear protection !!
Good luck !!!!! ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€